Lighthouse Festival Theatre is thrilled to have established dedicated funding for the commissioning of new plays and musicals with a comic tilt by individuals as well as ensembles who develop company-created work. Seeking out playwrights who are creating new and original plays is part of Lighthouse’s commitment to supporting Canadian Theatre. Our commissions provide both financial and artistic support via readings and workshops throughout the year.
Lighthouse is not accepting unsolicited scripts at this time.
How It Works
The play development process can take up to 3 years to complete and not every idea makes it all the way to production, but many do.
Plays developed through the Lighthouse program
Below are past shows that have received funding and/or their world premieres on the Lighthouse stage and have gone on to successful incarnations.
- BEYOND THE SEAS by Kristen Da Silva
- HURRY HARD by Kristen Da Silva
- THE GHOST ISLAND LIGHT by Peter Colley
- THE GENTLEMAN CLOTHIER by Norm Foster
- SOMETHING FISHY by Marcia Kash and Douglas Hughes
- FAIR AND SQUARE by Derek Ritschel
- STRANGER IN OUR HOUSE by Maryjane Cruise
- BUZZ GEM BLUES by Drew Hayden Taylor
- RUM RUNNERS by Derek Ritschel and Steve Thomas
- DADS! THE MUSICAL by Robert More
- MINI PUTT by Simon Joynes
- FITZ HAPPENS by Mark Weatherley
- SITTING PRETTY by Norm Foster
- TOO MANY COOKS by Marcia Kash and Douglas Hughes