What is a relaxed performance?
A relaxed performance (RP) is a theatre experience that incorporates additional accessibility and inclusion principles that meet the holistic physical, social, and environmental needs of patrons of all abilities, within a dramatic arts setting. A relaxed performance is meant to create an experience that supports the diversity and inclusion of attendees’ social needs. We welcome you to be yourself!
Click the titles below to see the accessibility and inclusion principles that are a part of a relaxed performance at Lighthouse Theatre.
- A ‘personal space’ seating option will provide attendees with the option to select the seats beside or behind them to create a ‘personal bubble’ based on their comfort level
- Lighting and sound during the show and in the theatre will be adjusted for attendees
- Vocalizations of attendees are welcome during the performance
- Interaction with cast and crew prior to or after the play will be encouraged
- A storyboard of the cast, stage setup, and theatre preview will all be available to review prior to attending the RP
- A visual guide will be provided to attendees prior to the date of the RP to ensure that all attendees are aware of the Lighthouse Festival building, amenities, theatre features, etc.
- The option to leave the theatre as attendees need is open and welcome
- For the engagement of attendees who choose to leave the theatre at any time, a television with the play in action will be available in the Long Bar of the Lighthouse Festival building
- The movement of attendees during the performance is welcome
- Additional signage will be available through the Lighthouse Festival building to ensure that attendees know where to go for the amenities that they are looking for
- Friendly front of house volunteers will be available to support attendees during their RP experience
The Real Sherlock Holmes
The Real Sherlock Holmes
September 2nd 2:00pm – 4:00pm
An action-packed adventure, following young medical student Arther Conan Doyle and Professor Bell as they encounter curious and at times suspicious characters through the underbelly of Edinburgh and across the spooky countryside of Scottland while they pursue a dangerous killer. This humorous and fast-paced story is unpacked clue by clue to tell the tale that will eventually become the inspiration of Conan Doyle’s most famous and fascinating character.
Declaimer: the words, actions, and themes of this show are dark, and related to crime, mysticism, and violence. This show is not designed for young audience members.
Please be aware: that gunshots, corpses, fighting, drugs/alcohol, dim lights, and darkness are experienced during the performance.
This relaxed performance is funded in part by