Members of the Board of Directors
The Board of Directors oversees the management of Lighthouse Festival Theatre Corporation (LFT) and the policies and strategic direction of LFT are directed by the Board.
While we welcome all interested applicants to fulfill future needs, we are encouraging applicants with a range of Board and professional experience (including Finance, Governance & Secretarial) for vacant Director positions.
Board Responsibilities / Accountabilities
- Approves LFT vision and mission statements
- Governs LFT by establishing By laws, broad policies and objectives
- Selects, evaluates and governs the work of the Executive Director (ED) and Artistic Director (AD)
- Ensures a succession plan is in place for the ED and AD
- In concert with senior staff develops LFT’s strategic plan
- Reviews and approves financial objectives, plans and actions
- Reviews and approves material transactions. Monitors LFT’s performance against the strategic plan, business plan and budget including overseeing the operating results on a regular basis to evaluate whether LFT is being properly managed
- Ensures ethical behaviour and compliance with laws and regulations, auditing and accounting principles and LFT’s own governing documents
- Assess its own effectiveness in fulfilling its responsibilities
- Performs such other functions as are prescribed by law, or assigned to the board in LFT’s governing documents.
Requirements of a Board Member
- Commits to the work of LFT
- Maintains confidentiality and acts with integrity
- Works constructively as a member of the team
- Commits time to homework and the research required to make a meaningful contribution
- Attends and actively participates in the following:
- Board meetings – minimum of 60% of 5-6 scheduled meetings a year
- Assigned board committees
- Annual General Meeting
- Special events
- Fund development events
- Board training sessions
- Agreement to the Code of Conduct of Directors of LFT
Term of Board Members
Members joining the Board are asked to commit to an initial three-year term. After that period, the director may apply to be elected for two further consecutive three-year terms for a maximum of nine years. Under exceptional circumstances and at the discretion of the Board, an extension to this term may be approved. After serving on the Board and taking a hiatus of three years, a member may re-apply to be a Member of the Board. This policy does not supersede a request for leave of absence. Board members named before the term limit was introduced are exempt from the maximum number of years set out under the term limits, subject to further decision of the board.
Lighthouse Festival Theatre Corporation Board of Directors Code of Conduct
To establish a set of principles and practices for the Lighthouse Festival Theatre (LFT) Board of Directors that will set parameters and provide guidance and direction for board conduct and decision-making.
Members of the LFT Board of Directors are committed to observing and promoting the highest standards of ethical conduct in the performance of their responsibilities on the LFT Board. Board members pledge to accept this code as their guideline for ethical conduct. Failure to abide by this code may result in termination of the Director’s term of office as per LFT By-Laws.
1. Faithfully abide by the Articles of Incorporation, by-laws and policies of LFT.
2. Exercise reasonable care, good faith and due diligence in organizational affairs.
3. Fully disclose, at the earliest opportunity, information that may result in a perceived or actual conflict of interest.
4. Fully disclose, at the earliest opportunity, information of fact that would have significance in board decision making.
5. Remain accountable for prudent fiscal management.
6. Maintain a professional level of courtesy, respect and objectivity in all LFT activities.
7. Refrain from giving direction, as an individual board member, to staff unless previously authorized by the board to do so.
8. Exercise the powers invested for the good of the organization rather than for direct personal benefit or for that of a third party.
9. Respect the confidentiality of sensitive information known due to board service.
Collaboration and Cooperation
10. Respect the diversity of opinions as expressed or acted upon by the LFT board and committees and formally register dissent as appropriate.
11. The board should communicate with one voice. Do not disclose or discuss differences of opinion on the board with those who are not on the board or discuss board business other than at board or committee meetings.